Wrongful Death Lawyers Serving the Puget Sound Area
The death of a loved one is always painful, but when the victim didn’t have to die, the grief is magnified. Surviving family members have the legal right to seek compensation for their loss.
Fighting for Families Throughout Washington State
The Olympia wrongful death lawyers at the Law Offices of Harold D. Carr help grieving families seek compensation for their loss when their loved one’s death was caused by another person’s negligence.
Compensation may be available for medical bills that occurred prior to death, funeral and burial expenses, lost income, emotional pain and suffering, and other damages. Proving negligence, causation, and damages with convincing evidence can be difficult if you are not familiar with Washington’s liability laws, case procedures, and so on. You should hire an experienced Olympia wrongful death attorney from our firm to advise you of your legal right to seek compensation, which will give you all the time you want to focus on healthy grieving.
What Qualifies as a Wrongful Death?
When the negligence of another person results in a death, it can qualify as wrongful death and a wrongful death lawsuit might follow. From a general standpoint, negligence occurs when someone makes a decision or takes an action that someone else reasonably would not have done in the same situation. For example, traveling at 75 miles per hour in a neighborhood is negligent because a reasonable person would never do so. If that speeder causes a fatal accident, then they could and should be held responsible through a wrongful death claim.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Washington?
The wrongful and untimely death of a loved one will have far-reaching consequences that affect many, many people. Not everyone who is affected by a wrongful death can sue for compensation, though. In Washington, the only people who can file a wrongful death claim are:
- Representative of the deceased’s estate
- Surviving spouse or domestic partner
- Surviving children or stepchildren
When there is no named representative, no spouse, and no children to bring forth a claim, a court can allow parents and siblings to file a claim instead. In most situations, though, any compensation secured through a settlement or verdict will go to the deceased’s estate, not a specific party.
How Do You Choose a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
Selecting a wrongful death attorney to work on your claim or represent you in court can feel understandably nerve-wracking. You need to know that they will be able to match all of your expectations, take on the opposition, and provide moral support as your case develops because there are few things as emotionally draining as fighting an opposing party during a wrongful death case. At the Law Offices of Harold D. Carr, we are ready to prove to you that our Olympia wrongful death lawyers deserve to be your first pick for legal assistance for all of these reasons and more. But don’t just take our word on it.
When choosing a wrongful death lawyer, you should:
- Look into their background: How much experience does the attorney or firm have with wrongful death cases and complex claims? Do they understand the nuances in wrongful death claims that are different from personal injury claims? You will find that our team is closely familiar with all things wrongful death-related thanks to our 30+ years of experience.
- Ask plenty of questions: We always encourage inquiring clients to ask as many questions as they want during free initial consultations. We will be happy to tell you about our experience, casework, investigative processes, how often we handle wrongful death claims, and so forth. Transparency and honesty are important.
- Insist on open communication: Fairly often, we hear from clients who complain that other law firms left them uninformed while their cases developed. At our firm, we are dedicated to staying in close communication with our clients, keeping them up to date whenever there is an important decision or progress.
Caring, Experienced Olympia Wrongful Death Lawyers
We understand the stress that can result from the legal process, and we want to help you through this emotionally challenging time. Our Olympia wrongful death attorneys offer aggressive legal representation and compassionate advice for our clients. Let us handle the insurance companies, so you and your family can have the time and space needed to mourn the loss of your loved one.
Testimonials From Google and Facebook
Extremely helpful and understanding. They fought hard for my case and I'd recommend them to anyone that needs a good lawyer. If I ever need a lawyer again, I know who to call.
read more Google testimonials...
Such wonderful and helpful people! Deana was the best, so kind, helpful and didn't seem to get bothers by a million messages or phone calls! If I needed to I would use them again for sure!
read more Facebook testimonials...
Experienced Wrongful Death Lawyers in Washington State
Serving Clients in Tacoma, Olympia, Lakewood, West Olympia, Puyallup & Federal Way